What Lettuce Do You Use For Chicken Lettuce Wrap?
The good options of lettuce to make cups for chicken lettuce wrap are, personally, Boston lettuce or the bottom parts of remain, and iceberg.
I like Boston the best since it has tender (means flexible, ) and each leaf is deep enough to hold the filling.
However, considering the cost performance, we choose the iceberg.
Especially, my hubby carries a lot of filling on a leaf, so we need big, deep, tender (easy to put in the mouth) enough for this dish.
How To Prepare Lettuce Cups
To make perfect lettuce cups for this dish, they should be dry, chilled, and fresh.
- Remove the core from the lettuce. (When using Boston lettuce, cut off the core.)
- Soak in cold water (add ice if needed) until each leaf will be refreshed.
- Drain the water with a salad spinner well.
- Refrigerate the lettuce until serving.
Grilled Chicken Leftover? How To Make Chicken Lettuce Wrap (Eat Lots of Vegetables!)
- 1 non-stick skillet/ wok
- ½ lb grilled chicken, roast chicken, leftovers *You can use fresh chicken (chopped/ ground meat) absolutely.
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 1 cup carrots, minced *Microwave it for 1 minute
- 1 cup mushrooms, minced
- 1 cup bell peppers, minced
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- ½ TSP fresh ginger, minced
- ½ TSP fresh garlic, minced
- 1-2 dried/ fresh hot chili pepper *optional
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame oil/ other cooking oil
- 2 Ice burg/ butter lettuce washed
- 3 tbsp Japanese dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey/ sugar
- 1 tbsp Japanese sake/ white wine/ sherry/ Shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 TSP Gochujang
- 1 TSP Chinese chicken soup powder
- 1 TSP potato/ corn starch
- a pinch of Chinese five spices
- <Make the stir-fry sauce> Combine all sauce ingredients well in a bowl.
- *when using the fresh meat, cook the meat halfway and then set them aside. *Make sure to crumble the ground chicken as it cooks, and drain excess fat.
- In a non-stick skillet/ wok, add ginger, garlic, hot chili peppers (optional), and oil. Heat the oil over low/ medium-low heat until the garlic releases its aroma. Be sure not to burn them.
- <Stir Vegetables> Turn the heat to medium-high. Stir root vegetables (onions, carrots) until onions have become translucent, about 1-2 minutes, and add mushrooms. *Add scallions whenever you like: whether you like cooked or fresher. *Add a pinch of salt to enhance the rich flavor and cook faster. (the salt is not on the list.)
- When the mushrooms get tender, add the bell peppers. Stir them for 1-2 minutes.
- < Add Chicken> Add chicken, and combine all ingredients well. *When using the fresh chicken (precooked in step 2), make sure to cook them through.
- <Add the stir-fry sauce> Mix the sauce well since the heavy ingredients are piled on the bottom. Pour the sauce over and immediately shake the pan/ using spatula and combine all ingredients well. Adjust the taste. (Add black pepper if desired.)Since the starch makes the sauce thicker sooner, you need to stir quickly after adding the sauce.
- When the sauce gets thicker enough, transfer a large plate or bowl. Serve it with lettuce leaves and enjoy!