By adding tofu into the Hamburg mix, you can still make fluffy, juicy, and tender tofu Hamburg without using eggs or breadcrumbs.
If you’re worried about them tasting tofu, don’t worry.
Even if you can feed those who don’t like tofu, they will not notice there is tofu.
The taste will be lighter and not juicy compared with ground beef and pork mix, but, you can also use ground chicken if you like to reduce more calories.
If you want to know about Japanese Hamburg steak first, please check out this post. (AND COME BACK HERE!)
My Mom’s best stewed Hamburg steak without Tofu mix, check out here.
Stewed Beef AND Tofu Japanese Hamburg Steak In Tomato Sauce: Nikomi Tofu Hamburg Steak
- 21 oz Ground beef
- 7 oz Ground pork
- 8 oz Tofu firm/ soft
- ¼ Onion, minced
- 1 Egg
- ¼ TSP Nutmeg
- ½ TSP Garlic powder
- ½ TSP Onion powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 canned diced tomato
- 1 tube Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Chicken bouillon *Better Than Bouillon Base preferred
- 1 cup Red wine
- 1½ cup Water
- 2 Dried red chili pepper *optional
- Place tofu on a plate and top kind of heavy plates on the tofu to drain the excess water. Wrap it with a paper towel if desired. Leave for about 15-30 minutes.*Be sure that the plates will not collapse since the tofu is unfirm.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef and pork, onions, egg, tofu, salt&pepper to taste, garlic& onion powder, and nutmeg.
- Mix well until it becomes a smooth texture.
- Make the meat mix a ball, and drop it into a bowl a few times to let the air out from the meat mix.
- Use 1/2 cup and divide the patties.
- Lightly oil hands, and form each patty into an oval shape.*Toss each patty back and forth between hands to remove air while forming.
- Oil a large pot or cast iron, and brown each patty on both sides.
- Add canned tomato, tomato paste, water, red wine, chicken bouillon, sugar, and salt & pepper to taste.Optionally, add dried red chili peppers.
- Cook hamburg steaks for 2 hours or until the sauce becomes thicker. Add water while cooking if needed.
- Taste the sauce, and add seasoning if needed.*Add 1 tbsp of soy sauce or tonkatsu sauce to combine the flavor if needed.
- If needed, remove all hamburg steaks from the sauce to thicken the sauce.
Cook With Instant Pot
When using an Instant pot, cook browned Hamburg steaks with High-pressure cook mode, for 30 minutes. Remove the Hamburg steaks out of the sauce, and thicken it until your favorite consistency with saute mode.