Easy 30 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp made with a homemade AUTHENTIC JAPANESE teriyaki sauce.
This teriyaki shrimp stir fry is called TERIMAYO shrimp, an easy and flavorful dish that combines savory teriyaki sauce and creamy rich Japanese mayonnaise.
You can change or add the vegetables as you like. It is ready in under 30 minutes (not counting making authentic teriyaki sauce), a super easy meal for a busy weeknight! Serving over rice will be perfect!
- What’s Authentic Teriyaki Sauce
- How To Prepare Shrimp
- Japanese Mayonnaise Brings Rich And Creamy Flavor
- Preparation Makes The Stir Fry Delicious
- Japanese TERIMAYO Shrimp; Easy Shrimp Stir-fry With Teriyaki Mayonnaise
What’s Authentic Teriyaki Sauce
Teriyaki sauce is a traditional Japanese sauce that is made of soy sauce, mirin (a sweet cooking sake), and sugar.
While it has twisted its flavor a lot in other countries, but, the authentic Japanese teriyaki sauce is not just a sweet and sticky sauce.
My teriyaki sauce is made of simple ingredients like the traditional recipe, however, I add dashi kelp.
Besides, I don’t use mirin, so my teriyaki sauce is restaurant-grade, packed with Umami flavor, and sweet, but gentle flavor.
Once you make this Teriyaki sauce, it’ll last for 6 months in a fridge.
It is versatile for stir-fry, grilling, marinating, and as a sauce.
How To Prepare Shrimp
For the best teriyaki shrimp stir fry, use peeled and deveined large-jumbo shrimp.
I use frozen shrimp that are already peeled and deveined. How to thaw them?
I just let them soak in cold water for about 20 minutes.
The important key is how to clean those shrimps.
If you don’t bring the fishy flavor to this savory shrimp stir fry, read this post thoughtfully and say goodbye to the fishy mushy shrimps!
Japanese Mayonnaise Brings Rich And Creamy Flavor
In Japan, it is very common to use mayonnaise for cooking.
Adding mayonnaise to teriyaki sauce makes it mild flavor adding rich and creamy flavor.
Since it contains eggs and oil, it also helps the shrimp dry.
Japanese mayonnaise such as Kewpie or Kenko mayonnaise is preferred for this dish to add rich and creamy flavor.
They also contain a well-balanced vinegar flavor which is adding savory flavor to stir-fry dishes.
Preparation Makes The Stir Fry Delicious
The stir fry recipe is always super simple and easy, but you need to keep it in mind if you want to avoid watery mushy stir fry dishes.
Preparation is so important for making delicious stir-fry.
Prepare all ingredients and equipment before cooking.
- Combine the teriyaki sauce and mayonnaise
- Combine the starch and water
- Clean, dry, and season shrimps
- Precook the shrimp
- Slice up all vegetables and garnishes
- Prepare a serving plate, and set it aside.
- Microwave root vegetables or vegetables needed a longer cooking time, for 1 minute
Especially, stir the sauce immediately once you add the starch and water mixture.
It is recommended to add it a few times and stir each time if you are a stir-fry beginner.
Japanese TERIMAYO Shrimp; Easy Shrimp Stir-fry With Teriyaki Mayonnaise
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- Japanese sake/ white wine
- 1 TSP garlic, minced
- 1 TSP ginger, minced
- 2 cups bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup my Authentic Japanese Teriyaki sauce
- ¼ cup Japanese Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 TSP potato/corn starch
- 1 TSP cold water
Substitute For Teriyaki sauce
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Japanese sake/ white wine/ sherry
- 3 tbsp sugar/ honey
Prepare Teriyaki Sauce
- Make Authentic Teriyaki sauce the day before. For the recipe, click here.
- Combine the teriyaki sauce and mayonnaise well.
- <The substitute for Teriyaki sauce> In a bowl, add dark soy sauce, sake, and sugar, and microwave it for about 1-2 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Combine the sauce and mayonnaise.
- Clean the shrimp and towel dry well. For my Japanese shrimp preparation tip, (and reduce the fishy taste,) read this post.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper lightly, sprinkle sake or white wine, then refrigerate them until cooking.
- Microwave sliced bell peppers, covered, for 1 minute.
- Combine the starch and water in a small bowl.
- Preheat and oil a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the shrimp. Place the shrimp with a single layer, and flip over the shrimp when it turns slightly pink. Cook for 1 minute and remove them from the skillet. Set aside. *You don't need to cook through the shrimp at this point.
- Add oil, minced garlic & ginger. (and hot chili pepper optionally.) Cook them over low heat until the garlic releases its aroma.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until they are tender. Then, add sliced bell peppers and stir.
- Put the shrimp back into the skillet. Stir the shrimp and the vegetables until they are cooked.
- Add the TERIMAYO sauce. (mix it again before adding.) Combine the sauce and ingredients well. *Depending on the cooking time, the heat, the amount of vegetables, and how you cut them, you need to adjust the flavor such as adding soy sauce.
- Mix the starch and the water again, and pour it into the skillet. IMMEDIATELY, stir well before the sauce gets thickened.
- Serve and enjoy! It goes perfectly with rice.*How To make instant pot rice.