Ramen has already been the addictive staple noodle soup dish from Japan worldwide— You may be looking for ramen noodles to refresh and energize with a cold summer noodle salad.
With colorful vegetables, savory protein, and tangy refreshing dressing to put it all together.
Cold ramen noodles, the popular summer noodle dish called Hiyashi Ramen or Hiyashi Chuka in Japan, for all your afternoon outdoor patio, yard parties, and summer picnics.
Hiyashi Ramen is not difficult to make, besides, this recipe is super easy to make with MARUTAI Boh ramen.
If you’ve already been a fan of MARUTAI RAMEN, the Hiyashi ramen recipe is obviously on the backside of the package.
So, let’s make MARUTAI HIYASHI RAMEN with me today!
- WHAT’S MARUTAI BOH RAMEN
- What’s HIYASHI RAMEN/ HIYASHI CHUKA
- Topping Suggestions
- The Dressing Suggestion
- Garnish Suggestions
- Japanese Summer Cold Noodle Salad Bowl: HIYASHI RAMEN
WHAT’S MARUTAI BOH RAMEN
What’s HIYASHI RAMEN/ HIYASHI CHUKA
Hiyashi Ramen/ Hiyashi Chuka means literally “cold ramen” in Japanese. In this term, “Chuka” refers to Chuka-soba, which means ramen noodles in Japanese.
*Hiyashi means cold or chilled.
Anyway, (I am not going to dive into Japanese phrases,) this post is talking about “Cold ramen”.
This child ramen is the staple summer cold noodle dish as well as Somen noodles/ cold soba noodles/ cold Udon noodles.
The noodles are simply chilled by rinsing under tap water and stored in a fridge before serving.
The soup is also chilled, and typically, made of chicken stock, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and so on.
The nice refreshing flavor and cold noodles, and summer vegetable toppings,
can be enough to chill you in the hot humid summer season in Japan.
Also, it can bring you back to having an appetite while your appetite decreases during the hot summer season.
Typically, Hiyashi Ramen/ Chuka is usually topped with,
- Kinshi Tamago (paper-thin egg omelet threads)
- Your choice of protein (sliced ham/ pulled chicken breast/ boiled shrimp)
- julienned cucumber
- sliced tomato
- Benishoga pickled ginger
However, you can arrange this cold noodle salad bowl with anything you like!
- Salad leaves/ Lettuce
- Sliced onion
- Bean sprouts
- Shredded Carrots
- Sliced celery
- Pulled pork
How To Make Kinshi Tamago
How To Boil Shrimp Without Fishy Taste
The Dressing Suggestion
When using MARUTAI Boh ramen, you can get the soup packet to make the dressing for Hiyashi Ramen.
You need only Japanese dark soy sauce, vinegar (apple cider/ rice/ white wine preferred), and sugar.
According to the instructions on the package, the water is required for 90ml ( 3 fl. oz).
I use 1/3 cup (79 ml) in this recipe.
You can also use 1/2 cup if desired.
Garnish Hiyashi Ramen/ Chuka with your color. Typically,
- Beni Shoga pickled ginger as I said in the topping list
- a lemon/ lime wedge
- chopped green onions
- sesame seeds
- Furikake rice seasoning
Nagoya-Style With Mayonnaise
Nagoyans (local people from Nagoya, including myself and my Mom, ) put mayonnaise on Hiyashi Ramen/ Chuka.
Mayonnaise can create a mild, creamy, rich flavor combined with the tangy dressing/ sauce.
Besides, it goes well with Kinshi Tamago and other toppings since they are ingredients for salads.
Japanese Summer Cold Noodle Salad Bowl: HIYASHI RAMEN
- 1 bundle MARUTAI stick instant ramen noodles
- ⅓ cup boiled water
- 1 packet soup in the package
- 1 packet flavor oil in the package
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider/ rice/ white wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp Japanese dark soy sauce
- Water to cook noodles
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- your choice of ham, sliced
- Kinshi Tamago *1)
- Bring water to a boil in a pot.
- Cook noodles for 4 minutes.
- Drain and rinse noodles well under tap water.
- Drain water and Refrigerate the dressing until serving.
Prepare The Dressing
- Dissolve the sugar in boiled water.
- Add the packets of soup and flavored oil, vinegar, and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Refrigerate the dressing until serving.
- Make Kinshi Tamago.*The Link To How to make Kinshi Tamago.
- Cut your choice of vegetables.
- Prepare your choice of protein.
Assemble Hiyashi Ramen
- In a ramen/ salad bowl, place the noodles. Top it with items. Pour over the dressing.
- With Nagoya-style, drizzle on the ramen or put Japanese mayo on the side.