I am not bragging about “homemade chicken broth”, but, I don’t have trouble with the shortage of chicken broth because I keep making the bone broth after roast chicken (turkey) dinner.
Also, from the point of the Japanese culture “Mottainai”, we often make homemade broth from the remains. (we often hesitate to throw bones and shells without making broth.)
So, it is not so hard to make homemade chicken broth to me, but I am here if can give you a hint on how to make homemade chicken broth quickly.
You can use store-bought chicken broth anytime, indeed, it’s handy and reasonable, but, homemade chicken broth is much healthier (sodium volume) and comfy.
This recipe is based on the traditional Japanese (Asian?) flavor, but, you can change the flavor while changing the vegetables and herbs.
All you need is a whole chicken.
No, no. All you need is “bone-in” chicken.
When using chicken legs or drumsticks, you can easily and quickly get the broth rather than a whole chicken, giblets, and neck.
How To Change This Chicken Stock Flavor To Not-Asian
Switch vegetables to those flavorful vegetables.
- An onion (peeled or with skin)
- Garlic (peeled or with skin)
- herbs or bay leaves
INSTANT POT/ PRESSURE COOKER RECIPE: Easy Homemade Asian Chicken Broth
- Instant pot/pressure cooker
- 1.8 lb Chicken leg/ thigh/ drums *0.9 lb of chicken bones
- 5 cups water
- 0.3 oz fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 leek, green part
- pinch of salt
- Place the chicken legs, ginger, and green part of the leek in the inner pot.
- Add water and a pinch of salt.
- Place the lid on, and set "pressure cook", high, for 20 minutes.
- Wait for the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove the meat thoughtfully or drain the soup.
- Discard skin and bones, hand shred chicken meat from the chicken legs, and use the meat for another dish!
- Finely strain the bones and the meat out of your broth.
- You can use the broth immediately, or keep it in a fridge or freezer. Use the broth within one week or freeze it for up to 3 months.*Remove excess fat when the fat is coagulated after being refrigerated.