Refreshing crisp cucumbers are so delicious, aren’t they?
Cucumbers compound approximately 95% water, and then, they are juicy and crunchy.
Yet, often, the moisture in the cucumbers causes dishes watery, bland, and soggy.
In Japanese home cooking, salting and draining sliced cucumbers are often used to prevent the taste from being watery as well as bring a crunchy texture and enhance its flavor.
Salting vegetables to remove excess water is a common cooking technics in Japanese cuisine.
When it comes to making the best fresh salads, you take this extra step, which is salt, and drain the vegetables, let not the dish end up watery, limp, and less than tasty.
Moreover, you can add a double amount of vegetables since the vegetables are semi-dehydrated and reduce the volume.
HOW MANY SALTS TO USE
Too much salt brings salty cucumbers, so apply 2% salt of the total cucumber weight as a guide.
When salting and draining not only cucumbers but also cabbage, radishes, onions, carrots, and other vegetables, use 2% salt of the total weight.
If you add too much salt and it becomes too salty, simply rinse and drain.
RINSE OR NOT AFTER SALTING
You can rinse the salted cucumbers if desired, but considering that the cucumbers may watery and the effort and time you’ll use, I think rinsing after salting cucumbers are not necessary.
When skipping the rinsing process, it is important to adjust the amount of salt.
As I said, rinsing the cucumbers will be necessary only when you add too much salt.
HOW TO REMOVE MOISTURE FROM CUCUMBERS
- 2% salt by the total weight of cucumbers
- Cut off both ends of the cucumbers and remove the skins with a vegetale peeler.
- If you want to remove excess moisture more from cucumbers such as when using English cucumbers, cut them in half the long way and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon.
- Slice the cucumbers as you like.
- In a bowl, sprinkle 2% salt on the total weight of cucumbers and combine them well.
- Let drain for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the cucumbers with your clean hands or with gloves. Don't be so gentle, squeeze out the excess moisture as possible as you can. Removing the excess water helps the cucumbers absorb seasonings.
- The salted and drained cucumbers will last for 1-2 days. Use them for glass noodle salad or potato salad if desired!
HOW TO USE SALTED & DRAINED CUCUMBERS
Japanese Glass Noodle Salad (Harusame Salad) is a simple, refreshing, savory glass noodle dish that can bring a unique side dish to your summer dinner or party, and as a healthy nibble with your cocktail. Quick-cooking of glass noodles, add your favorite protein and vegetables. Great served chilled.
Japanese potato salad, chunky mashed potatoes, cucumbers, onions, eggs, aaaaand Japanese Kewpie Mayo. Savory creamy starchy Japanese-style potato salad is so addictive. Throw in it—leftover veggies, frozen corn, or you can skip some of the ingredients—making them perfect for cozy weekday dinners or as a side in a party spread!
“Pressed sushi” called Oshizushi is a traditional type of sushi, which literally made by pressing sushi rice and ingredients in a container. Aesthetic, this block-shaped sushi can be an eye-catching dish at a party. Moreover, it is effortless, and super-easy to make even if you’ve never tried making sushi. Since this recipe is used Misozuke avocado and cream cheese, so I skip seasoning the sushi rice. You can make 8 cubed pressed sushi.