No burgers that compare to a homemade lamb burger.
This lamb burger is NOT GREEK STYLE, and it’s the AMERICAN classic cheeseburger-style.
No tzatziki, feta, nothing like that.
As a lamb burger cooks just the same as a hamburger.
There is no trick here.
Your favorite soft bun, juicy meaty patty well-seasoned with exotic spices, caramelized onions & mushroom, and your favorite sliced cheese.
The reason I had an idea of this lamb burger recipe is when I was thinking about making lamb Gyoza.
When I was making lamb Gyoza dumplings, (Gyoza is Japanese-style Chinese dumplings), my husband was wandering around me, and looked at me said, “I wanna taste of the stuffing-only!”.
The exotic cumin and cilantro aroma seemed to make him being appetitive.
So, I hit the idea to make a burger (which is also easier to make rather than Gyoza dumplings, )
since then, it became our staple easy grill dinner menu.
You just make the patties, grill them up, and enjoy.
- Where To Buy Ground Lamb
- A Few Key Ingredients To Make Best Lamb Burger
- Why Do You Need To Put A Dimple In The Patty
- Classic Cheese Burger-Style Best Lamb Burger At Home: Exotic Spicy Ground Lamb Patty
Where To Buy Ground Lamb
From my experience, a ground lamb was available at COSTCO and Walmart while we lived in PA.
Since we moved to TN, we couldn’t find it at COSTCO, so we buy it at Walmart.
Check out online where you can find ground lamb in your local area.
A Few Key Ingredients To Make Best Lamb Burger
This homemade burger recipe has a few key ingredients.
The first is ground cumin, which can bring the exotic flavor and can reduce unique lamb flavor which is often described as “gamey” or “grassy”.
Next, is the perfectly caramelized onions and buttery sauteed mushrooms.
Add the classic cheese, we like pepper jack, fresh lettuce, and no-tomato (because it’s the least my husband’s favorite,) and, you’ll make your own burger sauce if needed.
Why Do You Need To Put A Dimple In The Patty
- Cook evenly
- Prevent the patty from shrinking and falling apart
- Keep the savory meat juice inside
Putting a dimple in the patty can keep it flat, and becomes easy to get a delicious browning on the entire patty.
To ensure that the patty cooks evenly and faster, dimple each patty before it goes on the grill, which also helps the patty hold its shape.
Meat can shrink while it is cooking, and the dimple can prevent the patty from puffing and can cook evenly.
Shrinking and puffing the patty cause cracking or falling apart on the grill, which can lose savory greasy juice.
Classic Cheese Burger-Style Best Lamb Burger At Home: Exotic Spicy Ground Lamb Patty
- 4 Burger buns
- 4 Sliced cheeses
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 lb Ground lamb
- 2 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Toasted sesame oil
- 1 TSP Chicken soup powder
- 1 TSP Hot chili pepper
- 1 clove Minced garlic
- ½ Minced onion
- ½ Minced shallot
- 1 cup Minced Cilantro
- ½ cup Minced Mushroom
Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- 1 Sliced Sweet onion
- 8 oz White or brown mushrooms
Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- In a skillet, melt ⅔ butter over medium-low heat.
- Add in sliced onions, sprinkle a pinch of salt, and saute while stirring.
- Continue to let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes while stirring. Be sure that the bottom doesn’t burn.
- When the onion gets nice caramelized, take them out on a plate.
- Add ⅓ butter and melt it over medium-low heat.
- Add in sliced mushrooms, and saute while stirring for 10-15 minutes.
Make Lamb Patty
- Cut parchment paper into about 5 inches square. Make 4 sheets. Place each on a baking pan/ a large plate, set aside.
- (*Optional) In a small pan, add 1 tsp of cooking oil, hot chili peppers, and garlic. Turn on the heat, and wait 10 or 20 seconds, the garlic will start to release its flavor into the oil. Add sliced onion and coat with oil, and add mushrooms, saute while stirring until all ingredients are cooked. *Since my husband doesn't like fresh onion flavor, so I saute these ingredients first. But, you can skip this step if you don't mind the fresh onion flavor.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients for lamb patty.
- Using your hands mix the meat together until completely combined.
- Divide the meat into four equal parts.
- Form the mixture into 4 burger patties and then chill them in the fridge until they are ready to cook.
Grill The Patty & Make The Burger
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Lightly oil both sides of lamb patties.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Flip the burger patties and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place the cheese on the patties, close the lid and allow it to melt.
- Prepare the burger buns,(toast buns if desired) assemble the burger with the lamb patty, Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms, and your choice of toppings.