LEARN HOW TO MAKE AUTHENTIC JAPANESE-STYLE KALBI SHORT RIBS ON THE GRILL!
This iconic beef short rib cut called “kalbi” in Korea and Japan is one of the popular menus in Korean and Japanese barbecue.
In this recipe, the Korean style/ flanken style short ribs are marinated in a homemade Yakiniku sauce, which is Japanese BBQ sauce.
Tangy, sweet, and savory flavor with tender meaty short ribs!
The short ribs are quickly grilled over high heat.
(Grilling is my husband’s job, )and then served with staples like steamed rice, or lettuce wraps.
- What Cut Of The Meat Is Kalbi
- Where You Can Buy Kalbi?
- To Make Authentic Japanese-Style BBQ Sauce
- BBQ Grilled Kalbi: Grill Marinated Beef Short Ribs In Homemade Japanese BBQ Sauce
- Vegetable Side Dishes To Serve With Grilled Short Ribs
- The Easy Instant Pot Rice As A Side
What Cut Of The Meat Is Kalbi
“Kalbi” translates from Korean as “ribs,” and in Japan, this term has become synonymous with beef short ribs in Japanese Yakiniku restaurants, too.
Usually cut cross-wise through the rib bones, long, thin pieces of meat are attached to one side bones.
In Japan, kalbi without bones is more popular generally.
Japanese and Korean style BBQ is grilling the meat on each table by yourself, so the thin slices in important to make for fast grilling.
Where You Can Buy Kalbi?
Korean-style short ribs can be found at most Asian markets, including Walmart, Sam’s Club and sometimes Costco.
The cut is also known as “flanked.”
To Make Authentic Japanese-Style BBQ Sauce
BBQ Grilled Kalbi: Grill Marinated Beef Short Ribs In Homemade Japanese BBQ Sauce
- Korean style beef short ribs
- My Homemade Japanese BBQ Sauce
Make My Japanese BBQ Sauce: Yakiniku No Tare
- Make my Japanese BBQ sauce. It's better to make it the day before. * Click here for the full recipe.
Prepare Kalbi Beef Short Ribs
- Marinate the short ribs in the BBQ sauce. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.*You can freeze it for meal prep.
Grill The Ribs
- Cut the beef into pieces if desired.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot.
- Drain excess marinade off beef.Or, you can add the starch and you can make the coating sauce.
- Grill short ribs, turning once, to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Garnish with thinly sliced green onions or chopped cilantro, if desired.